Study in Austria

Persons who are neither EEA citizens nor Swiss, and who don't have already got a right of residence or a residence title in Austria for the other reason, require a residence permit to review in Austria.

Requirements for the admission to Austrian universities

The subsequent requirements must be fulfilled for the matriculation of overseas citizen (or a stateless person) as a daily student in Austrian university degree programmes.

A place to study has to be accessible at the university for the preferred course of studies.

The candidate must have an A-level or high school diploma, that can be considered equal to an Austrian Matura examination certification (either regulated by an accord or in individual cases determined by the vice chancellor, possibly with certain requirements) or furnish proof of completion of a three-year (minimum) study at another certified post-secondary educational institution.

Watch Intro
About Reobiz Company

The certification must be enough for taking to the desired course of study at a university in the country in which it was obtained. Any study-related requirements (e.g. entrance examination) must be satisfied in the country in which the A-level or high school diploma was approved.

If the specified course of study in Austria isn’t offered within the home country, then this proof is to be furnished regarding the most similar course of study. as long as the country doesn’t have a university, this proof doesn’t need to be submitted


At the latest by 5 September or 5 February every year for the following semester.


To EU and EEA citizens, the same application periods submit as to Austrian residents.

At the universities of the arts, the same application periods apply to foreigners as to Austrian residents, and admission is based on the entrance examination.


Only those foreign people that come to Austria for a brief time within the context of an Erasmus programme (and thus don’t shall complete a whole course of study) don’t got to take an entrance exam.

Responsible Authority

The respective university (the decision is made by the vice chancellor).

Required Documents

  • Passport, identity card or proof of citizenship in combination with an official identification with photo
  • A-levels, high school diploma or equivalent certification
  • Transcript with grades from the last school year
  • Various filled-out forms:
  • Application form for admission
  • Registration form
  • Form for statistics
  • Student document of identification with photograph attached
  • Form for continuation
  • Second photograph
  • Bank receipt represent the payment of the per semester tuition fee if the candidate is not otherwise excused.


All credentials are to be submitted within the original and during a German conversion which was publicly authenticated within the originating country and was last authenticated by the Austrian representation therein country. The last confirmation isn’t necessary in those countries whose public authentication is recognized by Austria due to treaty agreements.

Admission restrictions

Admission restrictions may be in effect for the following courses of study:

  • Medicine
  • Other medical courses
  • Psychology
  • Veterinary medicine
  • Dentistry
  • Bachelor studies as of the year 2010/2011″
  • Journalism and Communication Studies” (University of Vienna)”
  • Communication Studies” (University of Salzburg)”
  • Media and Communication Studies” (University of Klagenfurt)
  • Courses of study in especially high demand (according to article 14 University Act 2002)

The vice-chancellor of the particular university decides on the sort of admission procedure. This will be implemented either before the studies are begun or after the admission within the main two semesters. Usually, selection procedures happen before entrance. Please contact the respective universities for further details.


EU citizens are in principle on an equal footing with Austrian citizens

Tuition fee

As of summer semester 2013, the subsequent provisions on the university tuition fee are applicable

Regular students with EU/EEA citizenship and persons enjoying equal rights as Austrians before the law (permanent residents, residence in Austria of a minimum of five years before the beginning of studies, etc.) need to pay a tuition fee of €363.36 per semester if they surpass the minimum period of study of a BA, MA or PhD programme by more two semesters.

Students from third countries have to pay a tuition fee of €726.72 per semester

Students who are only admitted to certain lectures need to pay a tuition fee of €363.36 per semester irrespective of their citizenship.


The tuition fee has to be submitted only once per semester, even if numerous courses of study are followed concurrently at many universities.

Health insurance


If you fulfill the prerequisites for co-insurance (under 27 years of age, evidence of accomplishment similar to family allowance), then you can pertain to be co-insured with your parents (also grandparents or step-parents), or with your spouse.


Co-insurance of children in training is possible, at the longest, up to the age of (including) 26 years, if they are not insuredthemselves.

Student insurance

If no other insurance protection is available, then the student has the possibility to insure himself/herself at a preferential rate(in 2021: € 63.44 per month).


  • Total income of less than € 10,000 per year
  • Adherence to the duration requirement (minimum period plus one semester per study period plus four semesters)
  • At most two course of study changes
  • No completed course of study


All these insurance possibilities are only available by applying to a insurance institution. They need to be renewed after each break during the study (e.g. within the case of obligatory insurance with a vacation job).

Labour market access for students
If you’re a undergraduate with citizenship from a 3rd country, you’re subject to the Act Governing the utilization of Foreign Nationals and require an employment permit. This also applies to marginal employment.

As a student, you’ll receive a work permit for job of up to twenty hours every week without a market test. Companies need to submit for this work permit at the public Employment Service (Arbeitsmarktservice – AMS). Another provision for an employment permit is that the first purpose of stay isn’t jeopardized.

Universities of applied sciences

Courses at universities of submitted sciences (Fachhochschul-Studiengänge) were made as an independent supplement and alternative to the existing courses of study at universities. Particular features of this type of education are:

  • Profession-oriented and experience-oriented association
  • Fixed study duration – six semesters (bachelor study) and two to four semesters (master study) – compulsory attendance
  • Award of an educational degree to the graduates

Students at universities of applied sciences are on an equal footing with students at other universities.

Measures concerning academic subsidies or subsidies of studies abroad also apply to students at universities of practical sciences.


Since 1996, certain courses of study have also been offered for employed persons (work and study in contrast to full-time study).

Why Choose Us

We Worked With Reputed Companies in The World

Reobiz donec pulvinar magna id leoersi pellentesque impered dignissim rhoncus euismod euismod eros vitae.



SEO Analysis



Meet With Expert Team

University Of Chester

Western Institute Of Technology

Stratford University

Selkirk College

Grafton College

Cape Breton University

Subscribe To Our Newsletters

Contact Form